Header Ads

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sara Gilbert's secret: Gay while kissing Johnny Galecki



Continuing with "secret" week on The Talk, Sara Gilbert revealed on Thursday's show that she kept her sexuality a secret throughout her years on the Roseanne sitcom.
Gilbert dated Johnny Galecki at the time. "And I thought he was super cute and had a total crush on him and we started dating and he would come over and we would make out and then I would start to get depressed," she said.
She felt Johnny started "taking it personally" until she told him she was gay. "He was super sweet about it."


He never told anyone, and Sara also kept her sexuality a secret throughout her years on Roseanne. The show aired from 1988 to 1997.
She also said that she was dating a woman 18 years older than her during this time. "No one knew at the show, and Johnny held the secret the whole time. I was always so scared if it came out."
Doing The Talk has helped her overcome her fear of being public about being gay, but she reveals that part of her is still afraid there will be repercussions.

"When I talk about my sexuality on the show or in public, I still feel really scared. I'll try to act confident or make jokes of it. There's still a piece of me that goes, 'What is this costing me in my career? And what if ... '"

But she's grateful for her life.

"I want to live a true life. Beyond that, we do often say things like, 'It gets better' – and it does get better. I have an amazing life, but I want people to know that there can still be a struggle with it, and that's OK. There can be a part of you that doesn't want to feel different or feel scared. And that may be more important than any of it."

Gilbert said she alerted Galecki to the fact she'd be talking about it to him. His response was, " 'Yeah ... I love you, and I think it's really important. I'm so proud of you. If you want, I'll be there with you and I'll hold your hand.' I just thought that was so sweet."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top